ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] "The Document" (and why it's not suitable for the Board)

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] "The Document" (and why it's not suitable for the Board)
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 08:15:11 -0400

Hello everyone.

The document that Andrew, Cintra and I have been working on -- at least much
of it -- is now on the wiki at
https://community.icann.org/display/jaswg/JAS+Issues+and+Recommendations

It is the result of some concentrated work, in an attempt to clarify the
current stance of the WG as well as identify open and resolved issues, in an
attempt to redirect focus of the WG back on substance.

Note that the largest part of the document -- the detailed process -- is yet
to be done, but the authors expect to have something reasonably ready by the
end of the weekend and the next call. This includes a re-working of Dev's
flowchart.

The content of the document is gleaned as much as possible from the
Milestone consensus recommendations. We have tried to capture the spirit and
direction of the group as well as possible. However, it is but a starting
point. If it turns out that the document expresses a direction that is out
of sync with the WG that's fine, that can be corrected. IMO the document
fails if it does not adequately convey its intent to its readers -- it has
been designed to read simply enough that it does not require further editing
or redaction before (eventual) presentation to the Chartering Organizations
and ultimately to the GAC, Board and other interested stakeholders.

As for the rush request of this week -- I cannot speak for the JAS WG chairs
or the GNSO, but I can say that the ALAC Executive Committee has been
considering this issue and has certainly been concerned with the way the
status request was handled. While a response to the Board Chair is indeed
being considered, it is simply to state that this WG is on track to
accomplish its goals and does not intend to send the above document -- which
I'm sure all will agree is not presentable in its current initial form.

I look forward to completing the document, and ensuring that it is
sufficiently complete, accurate (to the intent of the WG), and
understandable by readers not intimately familiar with our issues.

- Evan