ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG chat transcript April 12 2011

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG chat transcript April 12 2011
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 06:27:34 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:Karla.Valente@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 5:51 AM
To: Karla Valente
Subject: Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD
Applicant Support

  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome to the JAS call on Tuesday 12 April 2011
  Cintra Sooknanan:Thank you Gisella
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:Hello every body
  CLO:I am still oin thr ccNSO  Council  Teleconference ( in my capacity as
Liaison fro AOAC
  CLO:ALAC
  Gisella Gruber-White:Cheryl - we will wait for your green light to call you!
  CLO: been trying  fir last 15 = ALREADY TGOUGH  *SIGH*
  CLO:PS
  CLO:Sorry CAPS
  Gisella Gruber-White:OK
  Alex Gakuru:it worked
  Cintra Sooknanan:Unfortunately I will have to leave the call 15 minutes
before the end
  CLO:Joined
  Cintra Sooknanan:I invited Rahman Khan from the GNSO to join our call
  Cintra Sooknanan:he expressed interest particularly with needy applicants who
are having gTLDs in IDN scripts
  Andrew Mack:have got a lot of background noise
  CLO:Can we have scroll control fpor the doc please...
  CLO:Thanks
  Gisella Gruber-White:John Rahman Kahn, a new member has joined the call
  Cintra Sooknanan:welcome John
  Cintra Sooknanan:Evan messaged me on skype, he is waiting to be admitted into
adobe connect
  Karla Valente:i do not see a request from evan
  Cintra Sooknanan:He will try again
  avri:funds are different they can give to anyone they want.
  Elaine Pruis:yes, please repeat alex
  avri:as i say this  attempts to be a tight constraint that can be accepted
for fee reduction
  Alan Greenberg:Tijani - louder please.
  avri:and as a new proposal on the table, if the group accepts it as a
starting point, the editors can take it and change it as the group demands.
  CLO:I also agree woth Andrew  and @ Alan   here  can we having established
this  sub set  state  that a preference or priority  will be given ( if we that
is)  for fee reductions  assistance specificaly at this call...  and then use
this as 1. a draft  for us to build on and 2. a this is where we are  NOW for
this section/part of what the board can expect in May ??
  Alex Gakuru:why not use the earlier report adding updates to specific areas
along our subsequent WG discussions?
  CLO:@ Alex   a further to our earlier report  here is a more
substaprioritised^  criteria  guidelines  for CBO's and NGO's  :???
  CLO:that  works  for mw
  avri:yeah, like all of the bundling stuff which was rejected for the
milestone report is back in as part of the discussions. that is defnitely a
tangent.
  CLO:me
  Cintra Sooknanan:I agree with Tijani, I feel that whatever we put in front of
the Board on Friday but help build our final proposal
  Cintra Sooknanan:should help build our final proposal
  Gisella Gruber-White:John Rahman has disconnected due to a very poor signal -
we will try calling him again
  Alex Gakuru:Once we propose anything to the Board it commits WG to whatever
recommended, we can "change our mind" but, we cannot change whatever mind
Booard adopts on Friday as a result of this very rushed request
  avri:right and if we have nothing this week, then we have nothing.
  CLO:IS what the Bpoard asking for on Fridayy For consideration  or mearly an
update on how we are going with CRITERIA ???
  avri:and that nothing will be hard to change the board's mind about.  i feel
like we are insisting on swallowing the whole elephant in one piece instead of
giving them something they can accept.
  Andrew Mack:good question CLO
  rsfik:lost the connection
  Andrew Mack:I think we should include an update on all if we are going to
update, or let it go
  avri:i hope that what the editors put forward does not include bundling
siunce that was not even in our milestone recommendations.
  Gisella Gruber-White:John Rahman is back
  Karla Valente:Resolved (2011.03.18.16), as set forth in the timetable, ICANN
will target 15 April 2011 as the date for publication of a final response to
the GAC Scorecard, along with Applicant Guidebook extracts showing changes.
  avri:every indication the board is giving is that they are ready to accept
something tight and constrained.
  Karla Valente:fee reduction aligned with the GAC scorecard
  Alex Gakuru:suggestion: Board request be posted on list then WG prioritises
discussions on specific request?
  CLO:So link  FEE reduction  to being appropriate for CBO's and NGO's  this
criteria  can be worked on / developed  in time  Surely
  avri:yes, this proposal can be seen as a minority proposal.  and even as a
minority proposal it needs to be sent forward.
  avri:i had not seen an y discussion on the chat so i was assuming nothing had
happened since it was quite clear that all discussion were going to happen on
that skype chat.
  Alex Gakuru:even 'minority' viewpoints/report require reasonable
consideration by WG on list
  avri:last week you said it was going to all be done on skype chat.
  avri:and the skypse chat showed no activity.
  avri:and then since i was free from having to coapture all the randdom ideas,
i was able to make a proposal.
  avri:the proposal of top and bottom levels of income makes not sense to me.
  Elaine Pruis:i agree with you avri.
  avri:we spent the whole meeting on process again - we alwasy do.
  Cintra Sooknanan:I have to leave the call now
  Cintra Sooknanan:good bye
  CLO:@ avri  we can also specify these criteria  for fee reduction is *for
THIS round*  as well...
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I am concerned that the eligibility requirements might
cut out communities in developed countries - say American Indians
  Olivier Crepin-Leblond:some parts of the UK are poorer than the richest parts
of some developing countries in the UN DESA list
  CLO:Can this text go up on the wiki  so we can comment / discuss  there  and
on the list at least ????
  Karla Valente:@Olivier: good point. We could adjust the criteria.
  Alex Gakuru:instead of 'age' anti-gaming, cannot other means to check
deserving applicants ?
  avri:a coalition is easy to deal with, just add a notion of a colaition of
NGOs who meet the preexisting condition.
  avri:sure as as i said this is just a jumpstart proposal.
  avri:but it has to be tight and non gameable.
  avri:Alex, other means of doing it are more difficult and more gameable.
prexisitng is a strong defense. against breifcase ngo or slick entrpenuers who
see a chance to get a discount.
  Alex Gakuru:We discuss further on list??
  Alex Gakuru:bye all
  CLO:Bye
  avri:or on the skype chat that was set up for the editing team to be able
work transparently.