ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On extending 3.5

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On extending 3.5
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 12:57:55 -0400

Colleagues,

During today's call Evan asked me a question regarding the the elements of 3.5.

These are:

   1. Least developed countries: category 199;
   2. Landlocked Developing Countries: category 432; or
   3. Small Island Developing States: category 722.

Where "category" refers to a UN DESA [1] reference.

I pointed out that had the .ps work-around not previously occurred, with this criteria we would not be able to distinguish a Palestine application from the Occupying Power, though Palestine, particularly Gaza, but also the West Bank and the refugee camps in the adjacent states, is economically distinct from a developed economy. I continued that with this criteria, no Native American or First Nation (Indigenous) application could qualify, and here in this note add that with the exception of Bolivia and Paraguay, as landlocked developing countries, and Haiti as a least developed country, the same result is likely.

As I observed in answering Evan's question, the utility of criteria of the form as is current in 3.5 is obvious.

Then there is the issue of an ALAC-co-chartered group exclusively relying upon the abstraction of Countries and States, which may suit the needs of the GAC in expressing the "public interest" as perceived by sovereigns, but omits non-state public interests, for which the ALAC was created as an advisory committee in the Corporation ByLaws.

Evan asked if I could come up with an additional criteria, and I have been writing a long note (now 6 pages) on the tax exempt bonding authority of Federally Recognized Indian Tribes in the United States to support a distinction between the economic capabilities of non-tribal public and quasi-public entities and tribal entities, again, in the United States. I'm in the process of adding to this a summary of the access to investment capital for First Nations in Canada.

My goals is a category statement similar in size to the draft criteria of 3.5 (a model for terseness, 10 words total, ignoring the category references), with a hideously long rational for the readers who want the full justification, by Monday.

Eric

[1] links courtesy of Rahman Khan John, in the call-time JAS Chat (via skype)
http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/index.html
http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/cdp/ldc/ldc_definitions.shtml
http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/policy/cdp/ldc/profile/