ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] A comment on the use of category 722 (Small Island Developing States) as a criteria

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] A comment on the use of category 722 (Small Island Developing States) as a criteria
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 13:33:04 -0400

Colleagues,

In this note I simply wish to point out a weakness in one of the proposed criteria, specifically the reference to category 722, one of the area or region codes created by the UN Statistics Division (UNSD) and utilized by the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) within the Development Policy and Analysis Division (UN DPAD).

I used Wikipedia as a per-capita GDP source for all 51 entries in category 722. Singapore, with a per-capita GDP of $57,000, ranked at the top of this list, and Haiti, Sao Tome an Principe, Solomon Islands, Guinea-Bissau, Comoros and Timor-Leste formed the bottom six entries, all with per-capita GDP less than $1,500. Note that I was not able to easily find the per-capita GDP for the Northern Mariana Islands (though it was this entry which caused me to look more carefully at category 722), the United States Virgin Islands, Niue, or the Netherland Antilles.

I propose we remove the reference to category 722 for several reasons.

1. It is absurd to use a list containing both Singapore and Haiti.

2. ISO 3166 code points have been allocated to all of the category 722 entries, and few have domestic, or diaspora populations sufficient to motivate a public interest claim for allocation of a scarce resource -- support in the 201x application round.

3. Some of the delegations in the IANA root to ISO 3166 allocations in category 722 already function as gTLDs, e.g., Niue, Tuvalu, Samoa, and in general, further awards to operators of repurposed ccTLDs, or awards to replace repurposed ccTLDs, are not in the public interest.

To find the definitions I used for categories 199 (Least DC), 432 (Landlocked DC), and 722 (Small Island Developing States), please see:
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49regin.htm

This note represents about 2 hours of time.

Eric