ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Status report from the writing team

  • To: "'Eric Brunner-Williams'" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Evan Leibovitch'" <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Status report from the writing team
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 07:37:48 +0800

Hi Eric,

To be more accurate, DotAsia, as the Sponsoring Organization for ".ASIA"
oversees the policy development processes for the registry from the HK
headquarters.  And as a not-for-profit organization, our headquarters are
focused on community projects that promote internet development and adoption in
Asia.

The headquarters also maintain the finances and registrar balances from the
Hong Kong office.  And we have staff stationed in Vancouver for Registrar
relations and in Beijing.

You are correct that Afilias is our technology services provider.  The
infrastructure for the registry database I believe is operated from North
America.  The DNSes are of course distributed globally.  I believe part of the
technical support is provided out of the India office as well.

This I think should be a very different situation than Afilias and .INFO with
their entity in Dublin.

Edmon