ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] URGENT Review of Updated Wiki

  • To: Cintra Sooknanan <cintra.sooknanan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] URGENT Review of Updated Wiki
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 18:22:14 -0400

Cintra, Evan,
In 3.0, in the third set of bullet points "The Application must NOT have any of the following characeristics:", there is one I thought we'd made clearer -- geographic names. I thought that we'd decided that what we'd meant earler when we discussed this idea was that city names were not what we wanted to support, but that "africa" was not a kind of name we did not want to support (sorry for the double negative).

The broadest application of a geographic name exclusion would eliminate an application for Dinetah (the name of the Navajo Nation as a place, in the Dine language).

I suggest we change "A string that is, or is based on, a geographic name" to "A string that is, or is based on, a city name".

In 3.1.3 - Operation in an emerging market or nation, I'm still uncomfortable with the use of category 722, which contains Singapore and most other entries are either (a) several multiples greater GNP than Haiti, or (b) unlikely to contain a community unserved or underserved by the associated ccTLD. I've the same concern (b), unlikely to contain a community unserved or underserved by the associated ccTLD, with the use of category 432. Finally, the micro-capabilities of the entire economies meeting the definition for category 199, "Least Developed" is another concern.

In a nutshell, I'm concerned that the capture of .nu, .tv, .cc, .co, .ws, ... will be repeated.

I discussed this in three emailing to the list on 4/24:
* A comment on the use of category 199 (Least developed countries) as a criteria, * A comment on the use of category 432 (Landlocked Developing Countries) as a criteria, and * A comment on the use of category 722 (Small Island Developing States) as a criteria

Also in 3.1.3 - Operation in an emerging market or nation, I offered an item #5, not currently present, to address the issue of applications by groups such as the Romi (primarily in Europe) or other stateless populations.

This was: "Applications by linguistic minorities protected by treaties such as the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages and the Council of Europe Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities."

In 4.3.3 - IPv6 Support, there is a duplicate line.

Eric