ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Tuesday call agenda

  • To: <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Tuesday call agenda
  • From: "Tijani BEN JEMAA" <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 11:32:27 +0100

Good morning,

Here are some comments (in green) on the questions raised by Stephane and Wolf:

Stéphane

Page 6 says that one criteria for eligibility is "Service in an under‐served
language, the presence of which on the Internet has been limited". This is
further explained in 3.1.2. But I don't understand what the metrics for these
criteria are? What makes a language under-served and how can we measure if its
presence on the Internet is limited?

Stéphane is right: our mission is to design mechanisms to encourage the build
out of Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in small or underserved languages
(Item j of the charter), not to redefine and detail the underserved languages.

Page 9, section 3.3 goes back to my earlier question about where and from whom
the group has been getting input. Here it says that the group had agreed on one
set of recommendations (govs not entitled to support) but are now working to
change those after the GAC has asked them to. Do you, as co-chairs, feel
comfortable with this?

This should be explained as the update of the original milestone report
according to the comments received (including the GAC’s ones).

Page 12, section 4.2 Do you not feel the deferment of DNSSEC is not in keeping
with ICANN's mission of ensuring a stable and secure Internet? As DNSSEC is
such a clear security feature, would it not be better to seek (financial)
support for applicants that find the cost of implementing it too high, rather
than suggesting they need not implement it upon start-up (with the risk that it
may then be years before they actually do implement it)?

For countries (areas) where the infrastructure doesn’t support DNSSEC, it would
be difficult to implement it by the applicant

Wolf

3. Qualification of applicants: I've some doubt's an applicant's self
declaration might be sufficient. At least appropriate references should be
provided.

We can modify the sentence to read: “Applicants will be expected give a
self-declaration, with due proofing documents when applicable, that they are
eligible to receive support under these criteria.

3.1.2 under-served language: similar to Stéphane, what are the criteria to
define these communities (number of members...)

Already commented

3.2 Financial need: How is the contribution of 45,000 $ calculated? Is this
just 25% of the regular application fee?

It was my question when I saw it. This section wasn’t discussed or even read
during a call. It was one of the few elements of the document that are part of
our mission and that we should address with the maximum of attention.

4.1 Financial support/relief: should this be on top of 3.2?

4.1 dealt with the kinds of support, while 3.2 dealt with the criteria for
support

4.4 Development fund: I've concern that this should be under the direction of
applicants meeting the support criteria only. At least representatives of the
"ICANN community" as well from the ICANN executive management should be part of
the directive body.

This needs further discussion.

4.5 The function of an "External funding agency" is not clear to me.

Such as World Bank or any other funding agencies that would like to fund some
applicant out of

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Executive Director

Mediterranean Federation of Internet Associations

Phone : + 216 70 825 231

Mobile : + 216 98 330 114

Fax     : + 216 70 825 231

  _____