ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the unstated assumption (was: Re: Q&A - RyC and JAS WG VERSION 2 - PLEASE REVIEW by Friday May 20)

  • To: "soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On the unstated assumption (was: Re: Q&A - RyC and JAS WG VERSION 2 - PLEASE REVIEW by Friday May 20)
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 17:14:24 -0400

Colleagues,

In a previous note I discussed the following which appeared in the set of questions posed by a Stakeholder Group in a Chartering Organization.

"Assuming the fees are reasonable with regard to services provided to registries, would other registries be expected to make up the deficit? Or does the WG believe the fees are too high? If the latter, was any analysis done to support that position?"

I wrote today to Craig Schwartz, ICANN's Registry Liaison, to ask a question, my goal being simply to determine if there is evidence to support a flat-value presumption (from ICANN to the registries), or if this presumption is contra-factual.

I asked if, to the best of Craig's knowledge, registry "relations" cost (contract compliance, all sundry dickering with the registry operators included) is "flat" across the open and sponsored registries, or could he make some qualitative distinction between some registries and others, possibly supporting a quantitative difference?

Craig's response was that registry "relations" costs are not "flat" across the gTLD registries. He went on to make the non-surprising points that the bigger gTLD registries generally have larger and more complex operations and issues and as a result they generally do take more resources to support, and the non-surprising, but unrelated in the context of the initial fees, or transactional fees, which are our context, point that negotiations for the renewal of some agreements cost far more to conclude than ICANN may ever recover from the registry fees from those smaller sTLDs.

So, the observation I made that the operational experience over the past decade is sufficient to distinguish between registries following some policies, is supported by the available facts.

It is therefore, reasonable to decline the premise offered that everything is like the large gTLDs, and attempt to associate reasonable fees for the actual services rendered, by ICANN, to the qualified applicant, and upon transition to delegation, the qualified registry operator.

A response to "Assuming the fees are reasonable with regard to services provided to registries ..." could therefore be of the form "Large registries consume more ICANN services than small registries, and are not relevant to attempting to determine the equitable contribution of small registries, which the JAS-WG believes is the correct characterization of assisted registries in their initial years, through fees, to ICANN."

Thank you all for your patience.

Eric