ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] The GAC weighs in on MR2

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] The GAC weighs in on MR2
  • From: ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 15:11:55 -0400

Rafik,

The point I raised in last Friday's call is that our recommendation that a
means exist for donors to commit their donation must, eventually, go from a
recommendation in the abstract to an act by someone.

For the present, if non-binding offers of support are simply to be accumulated,
no legal entity need exist to record and publish the individual and aggregate
offers. However, at some point, non-binding offers need to become binding
offers,
and at that point a legal entity needs to exist.

For the purposes of receiving non-binding, and eventually binding offers of
applicant support, consistent with the position of one, though not necessarily
consistent with the position of both Sponsoring Organizations, the entity or
entities which act as receivers, and eventual allocators, need not be ICANN,
or formed by ICANN.

Eventually some party, possibly ICANN, possibly a SO, must take a first
determinive step towards creating the legal instrumentality which will act
upon the recommendation of this working group.

Juding from the comments of Alan and Carlton during the call, audio and chat,
my point may not have been understood, so I request a few minutes of call time
are scheduled to the rather small question of inviting some party or parties to
implement a JAS recommendation concerning third-party support for needs
qualified
applicants.

Eric