ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On "pay as you go"

  • To: SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] On "pay as you go"
  • From: ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 10:37:37 -0400

Colleagues,

There was some discussion of "pay as you go" as a form of support for
needs-qualified applicants in today's call.

I want to point out that if the fee reduction recommended in MR2, or the
similar reduction recommended by the GAC, are available to needs-qualified
applicants, that there is limited utility in a "pay as you go" mechanism
as assistance to needs-qualified applicants.

On average, for each possible discrete "pay point" in the evaluation
and transition to delegation processes, the utility is one fourth that
of "pay as you go" where no such reduction in fees are available.

For this reason, as well as the obvious discomfort it causes Kurt's team
to decompse the cost of those processes, I prefer the reduction we've
recommended in MR2, and/or the specific reduction recommended recently by
the GAC, over "pay as you go".

Of course, if no substantive reduction in application fee is available
to needs-qualified applicants, then pay-as-you-go presents a significant
deferred funding capability mechanism, likely to benefit the applicant.

Eric