ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat with Dennis Jennings

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Chat with Dennis Jennings
  • From: ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 05:23:21 -0400

Colleages,

I spoke with Dennis mid-afternoon, following up on the suggestion Chuck
Gomes made during today's face-to-face.

Paraphrasing, so all errors of commissiona and omission are mine, Dennis
observed that ICANN is not good at evaluating comparative merits, and
suggested that the entity tasked with evaluating comparative merits be
given some upper bound on administrative costs, and then carry out its
evaluation and allocation mission.

I asked if he'd names to suggest, entities to fill this role. He gave
me several suggestions, various Treaty development organizations, and
some others, so from UNDP to the IFRC, as suggestive examples.

We talked also about the utility of registry platforms in developing
countries, and also the utility of registrars, again in developing
countries, as forms of assistance to applicants. Obviously, there are
several in the working group who know that registrars are unnecessary,
or may be deferred without harm, I'm only reporting that he and I were
in agreement that registars are necessary and urgent if to be ready
when qualified applicants transition to qualified registry operators.

I will meet with Dennis again, and of course anyone else is free to
do just as I have.

Eric