ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS Chat transcript 2 August 2011

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS Chat transcript 2 August 2011
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 07:10:32 -0700

Karla Valente: Welcome to the August 2 2011 JAS WG Meeting.

CLO: Hi all

Karla Valente: hello

Eric Brunner-Williams: howdy clo, karla

CLO: waiting for dial out

Tijani: hi everybody

Alan Greenberg: Hi all

Krista Papac: Hello everyone

Carlton Samuels: Hello Everyone, welcome

CLO: Hi

Eric Brunner-Williams: @staff, wendy was kind enough to relocate the registry
service platform proposal, but i managed to delete her email. could one of you
mail it to me and/or put it in the chat? tia!

Wendy Profit: Hi Eric, i will forward the email to you

Alan Greenberg: I may need to leave somewhat early today.

Eric Brunner-Williams: thanks. is there an agenda for this call?

Eric Brunner-Williams: oh, i see it. 25m for topic 1, 25m for topic 2, 5m for
terms

Eric Brunner-Williams: @wendy thatnks!

Andrew Mack: Avri, that's the way I understood it

Andrew Mack: discounts and price breaks would be separate

Eric Brunner-Williams: i utterly disagree that the rsp is "in kind"

Eric Brunner-Williams: agree that clarification is needed, i "heard" at
singapore that the fund and fee reduction were separate

CLO: designation of a budget of up to $2 million USD for seed funding, and
creating opportunities for other parties to provide matching funds, and (d) the
review of additional community feedback, advice from ALAC, and recommendations
from the GNSO following their receipt of a Final Report from the JAS Working
Group (requested in time to allow staff to develop an implementation plan for
the Board's consideration at its October 2011 meeting in Da\\\\\ Senegal), with
the goal of having a sustainable applicant support system in place before the
opening of the application window"   YES   imo  this IS ambiguois

CLO: a sustainalble  Applicant  support system  if  not  *JUST*  a reduction in
 fee for entry

avri: my writing explains how to achieveup to a 75% reduction.  but perhaps i
was not clear.

avri: i.e require only 45K from each JAS qualified applicant.

Alex Gakuru: If 2m were used up to just offset 185,000 fee waiver then only
10.8 applicants would exhaust all of it, without them getting any other
support...

Carlton Samuels: @Alex: That's the floor

Carlton Samuels: For we cannot assume other funds in this calculation!!

Carlos Dionisio Aguirre: @Carlton What kind of funds ?

Karla Valente: from board resolution: (c) designation of a budget of up to $2
million USD for seed funding, and creating opportunities for other parties to
provide matching funds,

Carlos Dionisio Aguirre: yes but I cant see nobody offering funds yet ? Im
wrong?

Eric Brunner-Williams: bruce and i had the same conversation.

Eric Brunner-Williams: same as avri is reciting now

Carlton Samuels: @Carlos: This is the $2m funds from the Board.  Kurt said he
believe the Board fund was intended as offset for fees.

Alan Greenberg: In  that case, a clarifying statement should be easy and
definitive and will take that piece of work off our table.

CLO: I'd like to beleive  that  Bruce's comments  are indicaative of a whole of
Boaed  set of intentions...

Eric Brunner-Williams: @clo, me too

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: call dropped out - please call me again

Carlos Dionisio Aguirre: @carlton thanks for the clarification

Alex Gakuru: @Olivier , you are on Adobe on the road?

Sebastien: I try Skype but it is not working can I be call on my mobile?

Sebastien: thanks

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: I reached a house now

Alex Gakuru: ok

Eric Brunner-Williams: my preference is to assume the fund is not intended to
offset unreduced fees.

Glen de Saint Gery: sebastien give me your telephone number please to call you

Alex Gakuru: @eric +1

Sebastien: it is in your private exchange ;)

Sebastien:

Eric Brunner-Williams: i muted earlier, i can't unmute

CLO: I see the distinction  eric  is making  and therefore IMO  links  to our
need to have the earlier question answered as well source  to recipeint  =
inkind  sourde to all qualified apps   a "benefit' available  for qualified
applocants

Eric Brunner-Williams: thanks clo

CLO: sorry about all the typos ;=(

Eric Brunner-Williams: this was one of the differences between the alac and
gnso chaters -- the gnso charter limited support to those that required no
intermediary entity, no "bag holder", the alac charter allowed an institution
so that resouces could be held and allocated independently of the donor's
marketing or social benefit preferences

Alex Gakuru: Kurt has posted a message to the list on our earlier question

CLO: correctt Eric

Eric Brunner-Williams: @clo: typos are good.

Eric Brunner-Williams: and correct always takes two teas

Alex Gakuru: Do we have a model operator willing to offer us their full
operational costs structure four our study?

avri: Anfrew: the non profit versus for profit establishement is one of ourr
normal disagreements.

Alex Gakuru: "for" - -

Eric Brunner-Williams: @alex: in the proposal i listed four candidate sources
for the infrastructure, there are others, i stopped at four, and did not
request any existing opertors respond to an expression of interest.

Alex Gakuru: yes, i remember...thanks

Eric Brunner-Williams: @alex: simply to ensure that i understood the licensing
i did contact garth miller of cocca, however i did not ask if cocca was willing
to make such an offer.

Krista Papac: how do i unmute?

Krista Papac: they have me on a quiet line?

Krista Papac: i was volunteering to communicate to kurt what our question was

Alan Greenberg: I could phrase the question I was asking, but I heard a number
of comments saying that it was clear enough and we did not wwant any further
answer.

Alex Gakuru: Carlton, the Chair should communicate with Kurt

Krista Papac: i tried *6 and it said it wasnt available to me

Krista Papac: no problem

Alex Gakuru: ok

Alex Gakuru: bye

Sebastien: Thanks