ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG Meeting Notes 8 August 2011

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG Meeting Notes 8 August 2011
  • From: Wendy Profit <wendy.profit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 07:14:51 -0700

JAS WG Meeting Notes

First we are going to come to agreement on terms, posted in the adobe connect.

The schedule for preparing the report on the wiki, the proposal we want to
keep, start looking at the final candidate draft for agreement. Important to
make any comments on the wiki if you have any input or comments.

Discontinuity between talking about funds and foundations that collect funds
and several different proposals.  Not sure if this has general agreement.
First there's a wall between funds and foundation and fee reduction, fee
reduction not be funded by funds and foundation.  Chair and everyone else need
to determine that one.  There's a need to raise funds, set up foundation,
collecting and processing.  Then there's the proposal Eric has laid out on the
establishment of a routing service provider platform.  Established in regions
that currently do not have them, more than a software package, substantiated
and proven to work.  Has an element that would require funding.  RSP is not in
kind service.

The COI continuation instrument and had recommended various insurance
mechanisms.   One thing that could come out of that fund is providing and
subsidizing the insurance mechanism .  Not sure if it's for us to recommend.
Continuity between us having concrete things against money we are not sure is
there.  Proper usage of the money and giving a go ahead of the plan.  Still
need closure.  We have some.  How to raise more, how to structure the
organization, how money is distributed.  Like the RSP, like the COI, these are
items that need to be considered for funding and specific work needs to be
scoped out. That continuity isn't decided yet and that's what we need to decide
on.

Try to address Avri's items here on the call. Alan.

Summary is good and challenge is to address all of them.  The 2m allocation
should be separate than the price reduction.  My understanding of what the
board said is that that is not the case. Need clarification from staff. If it
is, then it's settled.

I'll ask staff, Kurt to make this request for us.

Let's take the ambiguity and run away with it, don't think we should push on is
it or isn't it, let's make the argument for why it shouldn't be.  Why the price
reduction issue can be met without resorting to this fund.  It was essentially
political that they left if ambiguous and I think we should run with it.

Can't read the mind of the board, but we need to make very strong
recommendations about this issue. The price reduction is   The proposal of the
GAC of 76% reduction of the fees.  We have to make a very clear and very strong
recommendation about it.

On Avri's rationale on how we can use fee reduction without using those funds.
It has been agreed to that we don't need to waste time making an argument of it.

 Journalist asked what does it mean the GAC recommendation 76% reduction of the
fee, 2m used for...all I heard was we're going to see what the community and
the JAS report says.

Avri's approach is useful that we say clearly what it should be used for.   On
the wiki does not achieve the 76% reduction.
Kurt on the call - how did the board say the 2m should be targeted?  I think
the board intended that the 2m and matching funds to be targeted for the
distribution to the needy applicants as defined by the criteria as defined by
the group.

What exactly would it be for.

Is that the same for the GAC's request for 76% discount.

I think it's different, the board clearly put it out to solicit for matching
funds and that would be determined by whatever committee, to applicants that
are requesting financial aid.  I don't know if that's the same as a price
reduction or not.

Any fee reduction is a separate pot from these funds.

The funds essentially offset the fees.  Up to 76% can be accommodated.

Kurt please ask the board for clarification. From a needy applicant point of
view, if there is going to be matching funds attracted.  Hat, tossing money in,
what is the money I'm throwing in paying for.  If it's paying for itself,
applicability of a needy applicant being successful in the review process,
regardless of the outcome we need someone to give a clear intention of what the
board.

I don't understand the distinction you're making, reducing the fee or give to
the applicant for infrastructure.

Matching funds come from a different ...than cost recovery model.

The donor has a very different view.

Without prejudice, how donor responds will depend on the definition.

The donor can give funds directly to the applicant.

The resolution talks about matching funds.

I have no doubt, isn't it cool about that 2m. One of the things I was thinking
using it for is establishing registry service providers. I'm sure the board was
not saying this fund was meant as an offset for fees.
I agree wording of the text may be interpreted any other way.  Also I add text
in the candidate section under funds, I point to Eric's text.

What is the interest in learning what the board is meaning?  We have to express
what we perceive very strongly because it's our mission, our duty.

It's much more difficult, these are separate issues, we are asking this 2m and
if the board really wanted it to go into...we won't reach too many people.

We should take a position on how the funds are used and put it in the final
report regardless if we get clarity on what the board wants.

Move now to the second topic, what we are still calling in kind services for
lack of consensus on what we're calling it.  Is Elaine on? No.

When I read Eric's statement, he has a proposal and I hope you've all read it.
I thought it was actually part of what we term in kind, maybe Eric can disabuse
me of my understanding. Avri thought part of it was related to in kind and part
was related to funding.

It would not be in kind if it originated from another source, contracted party,
consultant or some other representing the community, ISP, registry .  It would
be in kind if it arose by some grant or gift by some contracted party giving
their particular expertise.  As a consequence of the boards' decision to use
the 2m, it is funded by the 2m.   If from a source specific to a recipient,
it's a transferable resource.  Here it is not specific to a recipient and could
be available to all applicants.

Question of one to one or one to many.

If we're building these RSP platforms unless it's someone....there would be
some sort of non-profit that would be establishing it. Because it was that
entity that would be obligated to provide...and it could receive in kind
donations of equipment, software, expertise.  I saw it as a hybrid thing
perhaps too semantics.  In one hand an application to set up these entities, in
another maybe that there are various donations equipment that would go into
creating these entities.  That's the point I was trying to make.

Wondering if it possible in so short time to look at it just really not about
the whole if it's really physical maybe can clarify that and explain how that's
possible.

Hybrid organization, I think I understand what the goals are in terms of the
pilot project, did I understand correctly that we're thinking of a sub
organization that would receive the services, could someone help me understand
that better?

What I had understood talking to Bruce, in each of the regions that doesn't
currently have a RSP, that an RSP would be created to provide back end RSP
services to JAS qualified applicants in that region.  How it's organized is all
hand wavy and would need a deeper proposal.  When I asked Eric if this was
included, I think it was in part 3, that made me think his proposal and what I
was thinking sort of end up in the same place.  We've got a year and a half
for.  There is some pre-work and some showing in Dakar that this is a
possibility.   That this would be a vaild answer.

2 things give me a little bit of pause though I accept the end destination. One
is that the final form of  this the non-profit should be dictated by the needs
on the ground. Not sure we're well placed to make that call at this time.
Aware of the passive voice and who's going to be the driver on this.  Great
destination but who's going to take the lead on this.

The non-profit versus for profit is the essential difference between Andrew and
I. The driver is one of the things that needs to be filled in. the actual funds
organization that needs to be established.  Self selected groups of competent
people.  Similar sort of selection of knowledgeable people from the region.
Here's our proof that we can take the money and establish something.  Yes they
can do it, we will fund, no they are a bunch of idiots who can't tie their
shoelaces, we won't fund.

Krista will ask Kurt.

Tijani is very passionate about the objective criteria and we need to bridge
the gap.  Want to tie down the applicant eligibility requirements.  Hope we
could make this flow smoothly, we only have a couple more calls to get this
done.  I implore you if you have anything to add in this area please
communicate it to the list so we can get closure on this argument.

Thanks for participating, see you on Friday.