ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Comments On Draft text

  • To: "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Comments On Draft text
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 15:36:38 +0000

Dear all

I've been reading over the documents  on the wiki

As mentioned in a previous email, the section on IPv6 is, in my opinion,
factually incorrect and also the wrong position to be taking.

I said this the first time the issue was raised and I'll say it again now -
There should NOT be an IPv6 exemption for "qualified" applicants.

This text doesn't make any actual sense:
"One approach would be to ask the ASO to assist in arranging for  a declaration
from  the RIRs that each of the regions the RIR and the local ISP would
guarantee to provide IPv6 access, though an IPv4 tunnel or other means, for any
JAS qualified applicant in its region.  this guarantees, plus an ICANN
willingness to accept these guarantees on an application could be a solution
for this problem that might obviate the need to waive the IPv6 requirements for
JAS qualified applicants."

RIRs have nothing to do with "access" - it's up to each LIR to organise their
own peering etc., and "local ISP" doesn't mean anything in this context at all.
Do you mean transit provider? What? .The RIR only makes the IPv6 (and IPv4)
assignments - they have nothing to do with the actual connections.

If someone wants to setup a tunnel they can do so via a tunnel broker - if they
really want to ..

I don't see what all this mumbo jumbo has to do with anything

>From the beginning I supported the concept behind this working group on the
>basis that it was all about removing certain economic barriers to applicants
>from developing countries. However it is very clear from some of the
>discussions over the last few weeks that some people want to expand that scope
>significantly and insist on making continual references to "capacity building"
>in developing countries etc etc
I strongly believe this is completely out of scope.

I don't want to start a flame war on the subject, so I've been biting my tongue
for weeks. But I do not see why some people have an issue with the concept of
"incumbent registries" - they have tried and tested systems and can provide
stable solutions.

For these reasons, and others, I also cannot support either the "Registry
Service Provider Program " or the "Capacity building - Registry Service
Providers".

If ICANN were to go down this route and start running registry operators (or
funding them) then I can see a multitude of issues, not least of them being
conflicts of interest, competition issues etc etc., But suffice to say that I
do not believe that it is ICANN's role to get involved in this sort of activity
- it's out of scope.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon