ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Comments On Draft text

  • To: SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Comments On Draft text
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 16:00:44 -0400

Dear Mr.Neylon,

As the party guilty for the 'mumbo jumbo,' let me try to respond

The idea was that since we were _not_ asking for the IPv6 to be lifted,
but were recognizing it availability as a barrier for most probably JAS
applicants,

Then there was a problem that needed to be solved if we wanted to help those
applicants.

I think this was in scope, but of course the co-chairs are the arbiters of
that..

After first writing this, I was informed that the RIRs, would do nothing to
provide v6 access, because they did not see that as their job.
I mistakenly thought they might help, since this was a difficult
techno-political condition being applied on their behalf.
So yes, that needs to be fixed.  I will remove any mention of RIRs from the
text.

On the other hand, JAS qualified applicants in regions where there is not IPv6
access, still will need such access.

So I talked to a few members of the ISP Constituency in the GNSO and gathered
that there might be a willingness for some ISPS who had IPv6 to help - by
providing tunnels etc.

But, even if this is possible, this is not a capability that these JAS
qualified applicants would have at application time.

So here I was asking that:

a.  there be a statement of willingness from ISPs (tunnel brokers as well
perhaps) that they would provide such service as an in kind service to JAS
qualified applicants.
b. that ICANN state that it was willing to accept such a promise of assistance
as a sufficient answer to the technical question asking about IPv6 capability.

Again I repeat, in no way was this proposal a way to get an exception to the
IPv6 requirements* but rather an approach to a way this might be met in the
majority of the world whether there is no IPv6 capability.

I hope this explains what the mumbo jumbo refers to.

thank you

a.

*  no matter how much some of us may think requiring IPv6 for all new
Registries is an unreasonable requirement, we recognize this is a staff/Board
directive that there is no appeal for.