ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Kurt on and off call

  • To: "tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx" <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>, "'Carlton Samuels'" <carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Kurt on and off call
  • From: Krista Papac <Krista.Papac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 03:30:38 +1000

Hi All,

I may have misunderstood what I was volunteering for on the call today. I
thought my remit was to reach out to Kurt to clarify the question being asked
on this morning's WG call, which I have done via telephone. I explained what I
believe the question to be and asked Kurt if he could kindly respond to the
list. He is traveling so I assume he will do so when he gets to his destination.

That said, I understood the question to be:

Is it the Board's view that the "$2 million USD for seed funding" is separate
from other assistance, such as in-kind services or discounted application fees,
available to needy applicants? Meaning assistance such as in-kind services,
discounted application fees, access to consulting services, etc. are available
to all needy applicants submitting an application to ICANN for a new gTLD.
However, allocation of monies from the $2 million seed fund are applied for or
requested by needy applicants and go through an allocation process separate
from the Application to ICANN process (see example scenario below).

If the 'seed fund' is meant to be separate an example scenario would be:

1.       Needy applicant XYZ Company intends to apply for a new gTLD -
.CLEVER-IDEA

2.       Hypothetically, the Board adopted the following needy applicant
provisions as part of the new gTLD program - fee reduction of x%, translation
services, application writing assistance, IPv6 support, access to registry
services provider discounts, consulting services, etc.

3.       .CLEVER-IDEA submits an Application during the Application Window,
utilizes some or all of the available services and pays the reduced application
fee

4.       Prior to .CLEVER-IDEA submitting their Application, they also
successfully apply to the 'seed fund' and are granted monies to be used for
their TLD

5.       The assistance received in 3 above are separate from the assistance
provided in 4 above
This is the clarification we are looking for from the Board.

With respect to the subject of the WG's majority and/or minority position on
the answer to this question - I didn't understand there to be a majority or
minority, but rather the WG was asking Kurt if he knew if the Board's
understanding is that the 'seed fund' is separate. Further, I don't think I'm
in a position to determine the majority/minority position of the WG. If there
is a majority/minority position, maybe someone more familiar could outline it
for the WG. If there isn't a majority/minority position, I am happy to
facilitate the conversation if needed.

I hope that makes sense.....

Krista Papac
Chief Strategy Officer