ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: applicant purpose (was: Comments On Draft text)

  • To: "<ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> " <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: applicant purpose (was: Comments On Draft text)
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 18:52:05 +0000

On 2 Aug 2011, at 16:38, <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

> However, I appreciate the point of view being offered so promptly.
>
> If there was language in the grant of support to any JAS qualified
> applicant which forbid the applicant from using any portion of the
> funds provided under the program arising from Recommendation 20 to
> provide or cause to create a service which was available from one
> or more commercial providers, by the applicant alone, or in in
> cooperation with one or more other applicants, would your concern
> be adequately addressed?

If I understand you correctly, then I think so ..

> I'm not trying to convince you of anything, but if we assume, just for
> the purposes of discussion, that two or more applicants pool their
> resources and create a shared registry services platform and thereby
> compete with all other shared registry services platform operators,
> if only "for their own business" as registry contract holder tenants
> on some registry services platform, that your view is that there are
> "conflict of interest" and/or a "competition policy" issues sufficient
> to either invoke an unidentified compliance issue arising from existing
> consensus policy, or legal liabilities?

The key thing for me is how a registry platform is funded  - not that it exists.

> Did I get the sense of your point correctly? If so, would just one
> applicant, acting in isolation, "self-hosting", also cause these
> same concerns?

If an applicant wants to self-host their registry platform and fund it
themselves, then I don't have any issue with it.
If, however, ICANN funds are being used to fund the registry platform then I
have an issue with it.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon