ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Draft summary of public comment (second milestone report) ready for JAS WG review

  • To: "<ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Draft summary of public comment (second milestone report) ready for JAS WG review
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 18:49:06 +0000

Eric

I asked one of our network engineers about perceived difficulties in
implementing IPv6  - I actually forwarded him your email to this list so that
he could respond to it. As he's obviously not on the list I'm doing a copy and
paste below - it should still make sense

See below:

""On 03/08/11 18:28, Michele Neylon :: Blacknight wrote: (forwarded email is
from Eric - not me)
>> Woody's claim is that the cost to the applicant to meet the v6 requirement
>> at some later date is greater than the $50,000 USD, and all "good will" (the
>> usual form of expression of identity of a resource to its users) and use of
>> revenue, and net profit, from operations, from 1Q2013 to the date the v6
>> requirment can be met, some number of fiscal quarters.

Right, this figure is over the top. Going on the
presumption that there's already an IPv4 network in place using semi
decent routers/firewalls made in the last 5 to 10 years they will have
IPv6 support, or are capable of being upgraded easily to support IPv6.

If new network infrastructure is being put in place, make sure that at
the very least the router and firewalls are capable of supporting IPv4
and IPv6.

So then the problem becomes getting IPv6 as far them. Most decent
transit provider capable of providing IPv6 will just give it with the
IPv4, it's just an IPv6 BGP session or static route. In our (Blacknight) case,
all
our IPv6 connectivity comes over the same ports as IPv4.

In the case of not being able to get native transit/connectivity, you
can use people like Sixxs to get an IPv6 tunnel for free, or
alternatively enter into a proper arrangement with someone like
Hurricane Electric to get a tunnel to one of their POPs.

>> This is a testable claim. What is the industry average cost for a small to
>> medium sized business to add v6 prefix advertizment, and v6 endpoints, for
>> its principal computer centered operational activities? If adding v6 costs
>> more than $50,000 for the average small to medium sized business, then Woody
>> has valid point.

In our case, for the office, it took 40mins to route a /64 down to the
PIX firewall, setup a copy of the IPv4 firewall rules, and use Router
Announcements so that all the Linux, Windows and Mac OSX hosts got IPv6
automagically. This was using a Cisco PIX 515E which was released in
2002 and has been discontinued since 2008!!!!

For servers you'll  need the following extra steps:
Put a static ip on the server for whatever services you need to run off
Possibly setup a PTR record, which is no different to what you do for
IPv4, it's just a longer record.

>> If it costs less than that, then whatever "harm" Woody is arguing, is harm
>> to some other party, assuming there is a demonstrable harm eventually, and
>> not relevant to MR2.

The main place I can see extra cost been added is if third party
software is used which is not capable of handling IPv6 properly. Then,
depending on the way it's written, it could be a major job to add in
support. However, if IPv6 is going to be and ICANN requirement, I can
see all the providers of said third party software adding in support in
a hurry!

There also the issue of training the people who'll be maintaining the
systems to be able to debug IPv6 issue, but any competent network
administrator would already be looking at IPv6 right now.

>> Our analysis has to test the comments for their possible rational meaning,
>> and we may find that some resist finding any obvious rational basis for
>> being posed.

The long and short of it is that IPv6 isn't all that hard to deploy.
Every mainstream server OS today supports it well, all decent networking
hardware has good support and the larger transit providers are all
either providing it right now or have advanced plans in place.

Niall.""

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon