ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: Contention outcomes

  • To: avri@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: Contention outcomes
  • From: ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 06:59:34 -0400

Avri,

You wrote:

> And yet, I did offer a method by which this recommendation could be
> inserted into our recommendations.
> To reiterate:

Whether string substitution is conditionally permitted for supported
appliations discovered to be in contention, involving a committee, or
is unconditionally permitted, is an implementation detail.

The policy question is whether substitution is part of support.

While Krista offered her opinion that substitution allows gaming, the
conditional-committee implemenation detail assumes her analysis is
correct. I'm unconvinced, where the mechanism is available only as a
form of support.

Eric