ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: Contention outcomes

  • To: avri@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Re: Contention outcomes
  • From: ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 08:04:46 -0400

Avri,

You wrote:

> It assumes that since some beleive gaming might be a problem a solution
> should be offered, just in case they are correct.
>
> I do not beleive we can resolve the existential question of whether there
> is a risk or not. But we can offer a solution to the possible problem.

Several assertions of gaming have been offered, from the existence of
support and may be offered to support in any form. If assertion alone is
sufficient to motivate solution, then your prior point about crystal
balls appears to be correct.

The concrete question is if a qualified applicant, finding its string
is in a contention set for which it lacks an outcome dispositive right,
offers to substitute a string which it does not yet know is in a
contention set for which it also lacks an outcome dispositive right,
what are the policy consequences, and if adverse consequences can be
identified, can the adverse outcome be bounded?

Eric