ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Latest version of JAS WG Final Report

  • To: Seth Greene <Seth.Greene@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Latest version of JAS WG Final Report
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:52:11 -0400

Thanks Seth, dear colleagues:

Here are few suggested minor edits:...using color coding: add or delete

para 3.: Replace..."The WG recommends a number of different kinds of
support... by "The WG recommends different kinds of support..."

para 4.: Replace... "the application fee for Support-Approved Candidates
be reduced to $47,000;"...by .... "the application fee for Support-Approved
Candidates be reduced from $XXXXX to $47,000;

para 6.: Replace.... "to 6-12 months"... by " from XXXX months to 6-12
months"...

para 7.: Replace... "If Should ICANN fail to implement the fee reduction as
stated in Section 4 above – as explicitly recommended by this Working Group,
the GAC and ALAC – Fees for any Support-Approved Candidate must be
staggered."... by... "Should ICANN not approve the fee reduction as stated
in Section 4 above – as explicitly recommended by this Working Group, the
GAC and ALAC – the default option must be that Fees for any Support-Approved
Candidate be staggered."...

para 8.: Replace... "The WG Charter, as set by the ALAC
states,that..."...by... "The WG Charter, as set by the ALAC
, states that..."

para 8/9.: ...regarding "a separate ICANN originated foundation"... no edit
suggestions but just to note for the record that this US-based foundation,
beyond managing auction proceeds, would also be able to receive outright
donations or concessionary loans for development assistance to
support-approved candidates for purposes deemed charitable under 501 c 3 IRS
rules.

para 9.: ... regarding "the creation of
an ICANN-administered/community-based fund for specific projects: is that
different or the same than the ICANN originated foundation referred to in
para 8? I find this confusing. What does community-based fund mean? it may
be confused with a community foundation?

para 11.: ... Replace "investigations should be held..." ..by... "feasibility
studies should be carried out..."

para 12 a.: ...regarding... "California 501C corporation..." why limit to
California?... other US states may offer more-friendly less costly legal and
regulatory frameworks, like Delaware for instance... I believe the common
reference is to section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code not
California 501C.... see
http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=96099,00.html

para. 12 b.: ...Replace.."Draft a document defining the core
responsibilities and activities of the fund or foundations." ...by... "b)
Draft a document defining the core responsibilities and activities of the
fund or foundation."

para. 12 c.:.... Replace... "Define methods of work for the fund or
foundation, including fundraising and fund distributions"... by.... "Define
methods of work for the fund or foundation, including, inter alia,
investment guidelines, fundraising and grantmaking."

para. 15:... Replace... "to mange and distribute..."...by... "to manage and
distribute..."

para. 15 b.: ...Replace... "Solicitation of funds to match the initial
allocation"...by... "Solicitation of funds to at least match the initial
allocation"

para. 16: ...regarding this  para...it is a bit naive IMHO to talk about
generosity only.... a 501 (c) (3) foundation will issue tax donation
receipts which will entitle the  donors to claim substantial allowable tax
deductions!!!!

para. 23: .... Replace "an optimistic estimate would be that 10-20% of the
applications might be able to meet the JAS qualifications and that would be
a surprise as the eligibility conditions are rather narrow."...by...
"anupper-limit estimate
would be that 10-20% of the applications might be able to meet  the JAS
qualifications as the eligibility conditions are rather narrow."

para. 24.: ...Replace... "Some basic mathematical assumptions"...by... "Some
basic arithmetical assumptions"... arithmetics are parts of
mathematics...but what we are doing here are simple arithmetics... indeed, a
minor edit!!!!

para. 29.: ... we could add at the end of the para.: This does not exclude
that donors may elect to make larger grants or contributions directly to the
ICANN-created Foundation, notably reducing their grantmaking costs. Most
Foundations and donors do not have sufficient internet governance related
expertise to make proper individual grants to our Applicants.

para. 35.: ..perhaps remove the term "political"... all Board decisions have
a political element but also  other elelments such as economic, technical,
financial, social, etc...

para. 59.: ... replace "unimaginable."...by..."impossible"

para. 64 d:... "recommendations on ability to form"... what does that mean?
64. a -annual reports
 para 64 e...circumstances
para 68.: ... Replace "in the WG,discussions" ...by... "in the WG
discussions"

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA
http://www.jumo.com/ict4dk