ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Latest draft of JAS WG Final Report

  • To: Seth Greene <Seth.Greene@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Latest draft of JAS WG Final Report
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 12:56:50 +0000

Seth

Just going through this

A couple of things

In the introductory sections there are clear references to auction proceeds
being used to fund this project, yet the same auction fees are being clearly
referenced in relation to the overall new TLD project funding on page 20. This
appears to be inconsistent.

I cannot support any of the text related to IPv6. I've made it very clear on
numerous occasions that I do not agree with the WG's stance on Ipv6 and the
text on this goes completely against anything I could support.

I am not going to try to debate this with the WG again, as it's pretty clear
that my arguments are either being ignored or aren't understood. I'm not sure
which it is.
However my disagreement with this needs to be noted even if it is only as a
minority point of view (however I know other people on this list expressed not
dissimilar views in the past)

I also do not support the sections related to "capacity building". I have
always felt that this WG was about removing unreasonable restrictions and
barriers for people / organisations that wanted to launch their own TLD. I do
not see why this WG should be trying to solve issues that are better dealt with
elsewhere and that do not have a direct and tangible impact on an
organisations' ability to get their own TLD. These are more market issues
rather than ICANN policy ones.

Several points in section 69 are moot, as they are covered by the existing DAG,
so why not refer to the DAG's existing criteria for applicant eligibility
rather than adding more confusion? ie. the bankruptcy / criminal section

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions ♞