ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] updated summary of the Second Milestone Report public forum

  • To: SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] updated summary of the Second Milestone Report public forum
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:21:45 -0400

Hi,

I tend to beleive that the WG needs to produce, with staff help, a proper
response to the comments from the 2nd milestone report.  Following some
excellent examples from staff in the new gTLD process and other WGs, and
comments made by the AOC Accountability and Transparency review about giving
proper regard to the responses of comments, I do not see how we can do
otherwise.  And while I have no doubt about the short shrift that ALAC/At-large
have received on comments in the past (I remember the days when ALAC had to
include an RSVP at the end of the communiqués to the Board if they had any hope
of getting a response), I do not think that is a good reason for doing the same
to others.

>From a practical point of view, if we do not respond to the comments, those
>who commented, when the next comment period comes around will be justified in
>saying:  "no way am I supporting this proposal - I commented and they ignored
>my comments."  They would be wrong, of course, we did not ignore the comments,
>but how would they know that we considered their comments and decided not to
>do as they asked for reasons a, b and c.

So I beleive the JAS WG needs to follow through and produce a comments report
that is in keeping with current ICANN standards for such reports.

I have been in many ICANN WGs.  In each and every one of them, one of the staff
members wrote up the comments and the responses, perhaps with the aid of the
chair, and then the WG walked through each one of them, giving comment and
direction for correction.  The policy staff that have worked  in other GNSO WGs
I have been in have been superb at guiding the WG through this activity and
producing a credible redsponse document. I have every expectation that this
WG's expert staff support would be every bit as good.

I suggest that this, and neither of the proposals given by Karla, should be the
path this WG takes.

Thanks
avri