ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Details on the Issue

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steve Crocker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Disspain <ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Details on the Issue
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:16:23 +0000

Hi,

The myth Cheryl refers is to is a notion that the GNSO said:

"one name per application"

While this was, to my recollection said, and I am one source of the 'myth'  and
it was also a basis I can find in the IDN recommendations, it seems that it was
never carried through to the final recommendations.

> http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/idn-wg-fr-22mar07.htm
>
> 4.1.4. One String per new IDN gTLD:
>
> Agreement that the approach of the New gTLD PDP with one string for each new
> IDN gTLD application is relevant, except in the rare cases when there is a
> need to cover script-specific character variants of an IDN gTLD string.

I am still following up to find where it was dropped, but it is clearly not in
the GNSO's final recommendations.

Whether this was oversight, or was a trace of something that was never decided
I am not sure - though I am sure it was my responsibility that it did not make
it to the final report.  I note that Chuck does not remember us as having made
that decision.

avri