ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Government eligibility for JAS support

  • To: JAS <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Government eligibility for JAS support
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:50:25 -0500

The issue of government eligibility was left open in our report.

The GAC had suggested that governments be eligible with the exception of national governments.

I do not recall that there was any substantive objection to this from within the JAS group (perhaps I was deaf to such objections though).

I suggest one of two objections:

- If there was/is substantive objection to the GAC proposal, that those who object document their problem with it, and we take a consensus call to see if there is general support for or against the GAC proposal.

- If there is no substantive objection, then I suggest that the JAS group issue an addendum to the report saying that we agree with the GAC proposal.

There are likely other options as well, but regardless, we need to close this gap, and do it quickly.

Alan