ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG Teleconference - Tuesday, 10th Jan @ 1300 UTC

  • To: "Katim S. Touray" <kstouray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG Teleconference - Tuesday, 10th Jan @ 1300 UTC
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:30:54 +0000

On 10 Jan 2012, at 14:23, Katim S. Touray wrote:

> Hi Carlton,
>
> Thanks Carlton for the invitation!  As I indicated in my earlier e-mail to
> you and Hartmut, the basic idea is as follows:
>       • One way to overcome the challenge of providing registry services is
> to set up a cooperative registry
>       • Such a registry will be set up as a not-for-profit entity owned by
> member organizations, namely needy applicants.  However, other stakeholders
> can become members.
>       • Members will pay for services provided to them by the registry

That's sort of how CORE works from what I can understand.

>       • In terms of setting it up, we can start (as you suggested) by having
> an existing organization host the shared registry until it is properly
> registered and constituted.  Two such possible organizations are the .br NIC,
> and CoCCA (http://www.cocca.cx).

CoCCA is a registry system which is already being used by a good number of
ccTLDs.. so why not just use them and be done with it?

>       • We can also use a South-South cooperation framework to establish the
> shared registry, with developing countries taking the lead in setting up the
> registry.
>       • Seed funding from such an organization can come from developing
> countries themselves (e.g. Brazil, India, Nigeria, and South Africa), and
> possibly other development partners.
>       • The registry should operate independent of ICANN, but abide by its
> registry policies.

That doesn't make any sense. Are you suggesting that ICANN run a registry?
Sorry - I just don't see the link.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon