ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: [liaison6c] ICANN Seeks Volunteers

  • To: amack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Fwd: [liaison6c] ICANN Seeks Volunteers
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:19:40 -0500

I agree with Andrew on all points.

I briefly considered applying myself, but recoiled after considering the
time commitment on top of what I'm already doing here.

I recall and strongly agree with the rationale behind not entrusting the
process to professional consultants. But I also wonder if there's some kind
of hybrid approach -- an honorarium, perhaps? -- that could address the
fact that many capable potential applicants have a very real opportunity
cost when considering participation.

At least a nominal payment would also reduce incentives for the SARP
members to be ... gamed.

As for "what pot?" ... as far as I'm concerned, this is a public
participation issue (in making the explicit move to attract community
members to SARP rather than hired guns) and should be handled in the budget
accordingly. Either that or the general gTLD budget. But not from the
support pool.

Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada

Em: evan at telly dot org