ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

[ssac-gnso-irdwg] Relevant UPU standards

  • To: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>, Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Relevant UPU standards
  • From: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 06:52:33 -0700

Dear IRD-WG members,

  As requested by Edmon, attached please find the relevant UPU standards that
may be of interest to the group. Sorry for the long delay in sending the
document.

Warmly,
Steve

On 2/16/10 4:13 PM, "Julie Hedlund" <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear IRD-WG members,

Below are the action items and main discussion points from the 15 February 2010
meeting of the IRD-WG.  These also are on the wiki at:
https://st.icann.org/int-reg-data-wg/index.cgi?internationalized_registration_data_working_group

<https://st.icann.org/int-reg-data-wg/index.cgi?internationalized_registration_data_working_group>
 .   Please let me know if you have any changes or questions.  Our next meeting
is scheduled for Monday, 01 March at 1900 UTC, 11:00 PST, 14:00 EST, 19:00
London, 20:00 CET; 02 March: 03:00 Beijing, 04:00 Japan, 08:00 New Zealand.

Note:  Please let us know if you plan to attend the ICANN meeting in Nairobi as
we may consider holding a face-to-face meeting there, depending on the number
of WG members who are present.

Best regards,

Julie

Julie Hedlund, Director, SSAC Support

Attendees: Jeremy Hitchcock, Jim Galvin, Robert Hutchinson, Yao Jiankang, and
Steve Metalitz; From staff: Gisella Gruber-White, Julie Hedlund, Dave
Piscitello, and Steve Sheng

Actions/Discussion: During Monday's call we discussed several considerations
for accommodating "internationalized" registration data. We attempted to
decompose registration data into several individual and sets of data objects:
1) Domain name
We have agreed that the IDN A-label and U-label encodings are sufficient and
necessary and no further encodings are needed.   In the call two weeks ago, WG
members agreed that registrars / registries should accept both U-label and
A-label queries, and return results both in U-label and A-label. In cases where
there are bundled domains, querying one domain in the bundle should return all
other domains in the bundle.
2) Registrar information
This includes the sponsoring registrar, status, creation/update/expiration
dates. WG Members on the call agreed on the following points.

 *   This is information that is administered by the registrar (and registry);
 *   GTLDs today largely capture this information in "English/ASCII7";
 *   Certain ccTLD operators display this information in local languages;
 *   ccTLDs have their own practices and it is the hope of this WG that that
the recommendations of this WG be considered by ccTLDs as well;
 *   There is value in continuing to make this information available in
English/ASCII7 for abuse reporting, especially if "sponsoring registrar" could
be used to obtain an abuse point of contact via ICANN or some other list of
POCs; and
 *   This set of data objects is perhaps a good example of one that could be
always available in English/ASCII7 and also published by registrar Whois using
characters of a local language.

3) Telephone and fax numbers
This is information for which international standards/conventions exist and
these should be applied. Steve Sheng studied this a bit further and summarized
the current state as follows: WG members on the call agreed to use E.123
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.123), the ITU standard for printed
representation of internationalized notation for telephone numbers, e-mail
addresses and Web addresses as a standard to display the telephone numbers in
Whois. The telephone numbers should be displayed in international notation (+31
42 123 4567). The WG did not make recommendations on how registrars should
store these data, but noted that some registrars or registries may have to
convert their registrant phone numbers to this format.
4) Email addresses
WG members on the call thought that that the IRD should consider the IETF's
work on internationalizing email address
(http://www.ietf.org/dyn/wg/charter/eai-charter.html). Steve Sheng, Yao
Jiankang, and Jim Galvin are studying the relevant RFCs of the IETF working
group on internationalized email (RFC 4952, 5335, 5336, 5337, 5504) and will
report to the WG via the mailing list.
5) Contact information
WG members on the call agreed on the value of treating all the data associated
with a contact's real world, postal/street address as a set of data objects.
They agreed that there should be no mixed scripts in the contact information.
Specifically, the WG members discussed applying criteria similar to IDN label
composition to data such as "street address," "post office box," "city,"
"state," "province," and "country."   WG members discussed whether this meant
that no provision would be made for also providing a "plain ASCII" version of
contact information.  WG members agreed that prohibiting mixed scripts did not
exclude the possibility of making full contact information available in
characters from a local language/script and a separate but equally full contact
information in ASCII characters as well. This is a separate, ongoing
discussion.  Some WG members suggested that we use UTF-8 as the encoding but
this needs to be discussed further.