ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Actions/Discussion Points: 10 May Meeting

  • To: "Steve Sheng" <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>, "Jiankang YAO" <yaojk@xxxxxxxx>, "Ird" <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Actions/Discussion Points: 10 May Meeting
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 12:17:10 -0700

May I offer a few observations:

(1)  Who is the WHOIS user?  This is a good question that ICANN has
never succeeded in answering systematically. A good deal of research is
reflected in some of the links at
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/
<http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/>   (note especially the
Whois Task Force interim reports from 2002 and the Montreal workshop in
2004) but it does not provide a clear answer.  Even considering just
those who use Whois for its original purpose of identifying/contacting
someone responsible for an Internet resource, this can still take many
different forms (of which law enforcement and IPR uses are examples, but
so are consumers, anti-phishing, parents, etc. etc.).  Perhaps a better
way to approach it is in terms of this purpose: what solution will best
advance this identification and contactability?

(2)     We do know that, up till now, the Whois user in the gTLD
environment (at least) has had to make use of Whois in ASCII.  Of course
the demographics of the Whois user population will change with the
introduction of IDNs but the ASCII-capable segment of that population is
likely to predominate well into the future.

(3)  The value of transliteration will vary depending on the data
element involved. Consider, for example, the mailing address of the
domain name registrant (Registered Name Holder in ICANN gTLD parlance).
Let's assume that this address is in Russia on a street that is
transliterated as Novy Mir.  If an ASCII-capable Whois user cannot read
Cyrillic characters, then rendering this street name in Cyrillic
characters in Whois will not assist the user in contacting the
registrant.  (It may assist this user for other purposes.) Translating
this street name into English ("new world") or French ("nouveau monde")
or some other language will not assist this user, because almost no one
in  Russia would call that street by that name nor would it appear on
maps in that way.  Transliteration, on the other hand, could be useful
to this ASCII-capable user, because romanized maps are more often
available, information about the street name could be transmitted orally
to a Russian speaker, etc.  This is a simple but I hope helpful example
of a case where translation would not be more useful to many users than
transliteration, and I think this would often be the case, at least for
this data element.

(4)   Certainly transliteration is inexact (any more so than
translation?) but I note there are ISO standards for transliterating
many scripts into Roman characters ( see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_transliterations
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_transliterations> ) .

Steve Metalitz