ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

[ssac-gnso-irdwg] Preliminary approach to Brussels

  • To: Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Preliminary approach to Brussels
  • From: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 11:11:12 -0700

Dear IRD-WG,

The action item from Monday's meeting was for staff to provide a suggested
preliminary approach for your consideration based on the many weeks of Working
Group discussion, both during meetings and on the list.  Please note that there
will be a public session of the IRD-WG in Brussels and we would like to be able
to prepare some brief slides outlining a possible preliminary approach to
encourage discussion at the session.  Your input on the following suggestions
will help us to develop a preliminary approach for Brussels.  It is important
that we get input from all Working Group members so we welcome and encourage
your comments.  Please respond by Thursday, 03 June so that we can collect all
comments for discussion at our meeting on Monday, 09 June, at 1400 UTC.  Thank
you for your assistance."

Warmly,
Steve

Possible Preliminary Approach for Working Group Consideration:

1.    What should we require of the WHOIS service in the IDN environment?

1) WHOIS clients must be able to accept a user query of domain name in either
U- or A-label format; 2) WHOIS clients must be able display result of queries
in a) in both in U- and A-label for the domain names; and 3) Bundled
representations (e.g. both the simplified and traditional Chinese) of a single
A or U-label query should be returned.

2.    What do we require from internationalized registration data to
accommodate users who want to submit and have registration data displayed in
"familiar" characters from local scripts?

The various elements of registration data could be separately internationalized
and dealt with as follows:

a) Domain names (RAA 3.3.1.1): WHOIS services should return both A-label and
U-label representation for the given IDN domains queried.
b) Name server names (RAA 3.3.1.2): Currently all of them are in US-ASCII.
However, with internationalized domain names, it is possible that some will
publish their name servers in IDN. Note - the Working Group has not discussed
this issue. Suggested approaches are welcome.
c) Sponsoring Registrar (RAA 3.3.1.3): Make available in ASCII to aid
investigation purposes of law enforcements.
d) Telephone/Fax (RAA 3.3.1.7,8): Apply the UPU E. 123 standard using the
international notation (+31 42 123 4567).
e) Email address (RAA 3.3.1.7,8): Use RFC 5335 as a basis.
f) Dates (RAA 3.3.1.4,5) Include creation date, expiration date, and update
date of the domain. Note -- the Working Group has not discussed the
internationalization of this field.  Suggested approaches are welcome.
g) Registration Status: Registrars and registries often provide the status of
the registration. For example client-hold, delete prohibited, update
prohibited, etc. Note -- the Working Group has not discussed the
internationalization of this field.  The following are approaches to consider.
Please indicate which approach you prefer or you are welcome to suggest
alternative approaches.
  1) leave it in ASCII 7;
  2) always publish the exact EPP status code and leave it to the clients to
decide whether to localize or not;
  3) identify a more easily understood representation (for the mandatory
character set); or
  4) publish the easily understood representation in mandatory and local
character sets.
h) Entity names (RAA 3.3.1.6,7,8) (registrant, admin contact, technical
contact) and Postal addresses (RAA 3.3.1.6,7,8)  1)Registrants submit in a
"must be present" language to WHOIS; 2) registrants have the option to submit
in a local script; 3) registrars must provide backwards compatibility for Port
43 when necessary.