ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] REMINDER FOR REVIEW: Draft Presentation for Cartagena

  • To: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] REMINDER FOR REVIEW: Draft Presentation for Cartagena
  • From: "James M. Galvin" <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 08:59:43 -0500

I take your point. I certainly don't want to overreach. I don't want "improving the dialogue" to be our mission, per se, what I want is for us to use a consistent set of terminology and to use it well.

While it may be true that the phrase "directory services" introduces its own set of additional issues, the same is true for the use of WHOIS. As you know, people use WHOIS to refer to both the protocol and the data model, which is itself confusing.

I think we can use the phrase "directory services" to refer to the whole system and then observe that we're addressing two particular aspects of it: replacing the WHOIS protocol and updating the registration data model.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Jim