ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG/Related Meetings in Cartagena and Next Meeting

  • To: "James M. Galvin" <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG/Related Meetings in Cartagena and Next Meeting
  • From: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 12:10:33 -0800

Thanks Jim, here is what I gathered from the meeting, see below.

On 12/5/10 11:35 AM, "James M. Galvin" <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Julie for this update.

I have some questions on these questions.  Could someone who was there
add some additional context?

On Dec 5, 2010, at 8:04 AM, Julie Hedlund wrote:

> Dear IRD-WG members,
>
> Edmon Chung's presentation for the GNSO Council at its Working
> Session yesterday went very well.  Several Council members had the
> following questions/comments that we thought you would find
> interesting:
>
>       * Have the WG considered adding a language tag to the contact data?

This, in fact, is exactly one of the problems.  Whois protocol has no
language tag capabilities. This is why it needs to be replaced.

[Steve Sheng] I think the proposal is to have a language tag as a data element,
not at the protocol level, so I would envision something a data entry like:
language/script: Arabic.

>       * Where does the original and transliterated/translated data
> reside? Registrars, registries?

The original data stays where it is now, according to whether the
registry is thick or thin.  Presumably transliterated/translated data
is in the same place, but since I don't recall discussing this issue
it is a good catch by the participants.

>       * How would IRD affect searchable Whois?

The Whois protocol does not provide searching capabilities.  This is
another reason it needs to be replaced.

>       * Are there multiple transliteration standards for a single
> language, if so, would this result in inconsistent transliterations?

This is another good catch by the participants.

>       * Concern that the issues being discussed by the WG will be
> difficult for Councilors who are not technical experts to understand.

We should seek reviewers in the final stages that are as far removed
from this work as we can recruit.  It would be a good test of how well
we write our report, which I agree is essential in order for the
recommendations be taken seriously.

Jim