ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft outreach slides

  • To: Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>, Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>, Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft outreach slides
  • From: James M Galvin <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:38:35 -0500

Dave,

You ask a good for which I don't have a definite answer. I don't know which form would be more preferable since I think it would depend on the user reviewing the information.

For now, I would agree with your assessment that we don't have enough experience to really know for sure. I'm okay with either choice and then we see what happens.

Jim

-- On January 31, 2011 5:50:14 PM -0800 Dave Piscitello <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote regarding Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Draft outreach slides --

Some observations re: name server names.

When OpSec and LEA look up whois, they are not only interested in
learning about registrants and other contacts, but name server names,
too. Making these user friendly (A-label) as well as easily parsed by
existing automation would be beneficial.

Example. Consider someone who is familiar with the name generating
algorithm or name "set" of a fast flux or botnet. These parties could
benefit from being able to read the domain name of a name server in
A-label format rather than U-label.

I don't know if we have sufficient experience with IDNs, but would
others agree that it is generally the case that ASCII7 labels are
more "readable" than labels of the form "XN--" even among individuals
for whom ASCII7 is not the native character set?