ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] proposed new structure and recommendations for final report

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>, Owen Smigelski <Owen.Smigelski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx" <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] proposed new structure and recommendations for final report
  • From: Mark Kosters <markk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 21:05:57 +0000

Hi Steve

I've been mainly just lurking here but I think I can give a bit of input.

In a separate forum, a number of RIR people have been working with ICANN
staff and others in an effort to re-look at a new Registration Data
Directory service. This need to reopen this problem has come has mostly
shown up on the Security and Stability side that have focused on the
weaknesses of the existing directory service. At the same time, a lot of
people have seen promise in the RESTful whois service that both RIPE and
ARIN recently started to provide.

This interested set of individuals have started the process to create a
working group (first comes a list and a number of drafts before IETF
working group formation). The list is called weirds - WHOIS-based
Extensible Internet Registration Data Service. One can join at
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds. It is hoped that some sort
of new standard can be developed that is more useful than what we have
today. Perhaps ICANN and others can point to this standard as a
recommended way for ICANN-related registries to provide directory services.

Regards,
Mark