ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] proposed new structure and recommendations for final report

  • To: Owen Smigelski <Owen.Smigelski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] proposed new structure and recommendations for final report
  • From: James M Galvin <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 10:39:17 -0400

Owen,

Sorry to be so long in responding to your message. You asked if it is possible to make our recommendations mandatory? I can not precisely answer your question but I will provide some insight.

This group has no standing to make anything "mandatory". Our role is to report back to our respective chartering groups: GNSO and SSAC. Each of us as individual members can then follow up within our respective groups to ensure whatever action we believe is appropriate is enacted.

Also, my choice of words below for the recommendations was deliberately conservative. While I believe there is some consensus for the concepts described, I wanted to wait until we have a more complete document drafted before the working group members engage in too detailed a discussion of what we are trying to say.

Thus, once we have a document, we can more carefully consider how strongly we want to word our recommendations, i.e., consider how best to say they should be "mandatory".

Hope this helps,

Jim

-- On June 9, 2011 12:31:22 PM -0700 Owen Smigelski <Owen.Smigelski@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote regarding RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] proposed new structure and recommendations for final report --

Hi Jim,

I think the below outline looks good: it identifies the issues and
proposes a solution.

My only concern is that this report will go nowhere, e.g. generate
some discussion and then WHOIS remains static for years to come.  Is
there any way to make these recommendation changes mandatory?  I know
ICANN cannot make the changes to WHOIS directly (that's for
IETF/others), but what about changing the registrar/registry
agreements to require them to provide internationalized WHOIS that
conforms to ICANN requirements in the report in 5 years?  That will
certainly incentivize the necessary actors to discuss and agree upon
a new protocol and implement the changes.   My above timeframe and
method for making this required are just examples.

I'm certainly open to other proposals, but I would certainly like to
see our efforts result in actual improvements to WHOIS.

Regards,

Owen

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message is intended only for the use
of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this email in
error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and
delete this email and any attachments from your system.