ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

[ssac-gnso-irdwg] Next Meeting

  • To: Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Next Meeting
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 12:13:09 -0400

Hi,

I will be on vacation next week but will try to call in.

My view, however, is that while it may be ok to list policy issues, that must
be done in a neutral and balanced way.  Especially one that does _not_ presume
ill-intent and malice on the part of people who register IDN domain names and
who may not know a Latin based language or have comprehension of ASCII.  After
all what are IDNs for if not for people who have no access to Latin based
languages.

Additionally I have often been informed that the IPR, in so far as there may be
IPR, problem is predominately a LATIN based language problem.  If that is so, I
would hope that we could avoid forcing the entire IDN world of domain names to
deal with the same forms of universal suspicion and defensive behavior we have
been subjected to in ASCII names.  But of course that is a policy opinion.

a.