ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

[ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG Call 1 August: Actions/Notes

  • To: "ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx" <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG Call 1 August: Actions/Notes
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 09:11:55 -0700

All,

Here are some brief notes from today’s meeting.  The full transcript and
recording also will be provided.

Our next call will be Monday, 08 August at 1500 UTC/0800 PDT/1100 EDT.  The
teleconference details will be sent with the reminder.

Best regards,

Julie

Attendees:  Scott Austin; Avri Doria, Jim Galvin, Bob Hutchinson, Steve
Metalitz; Julie Hedlund, Steve Sheng, Dave Piscitello, Glen de Saint-Gery

Actions:  Steve Sheng will begin work on writing the report based on comments
on the outline received through section 4.1.  WG members should provide any
text they think is missing and should be included.

Notes (continuing discussion of outline from 2.3):

2.3 — Current Practices:  2nd bullet point -- add practices by other
registries.  Reword to “to support Internationalized Data many registries
currently support UTF8.”  We should be able to give some examples of what we do
know is being used.  Combine second and third bullet in some fashion, but
eliminate the 2nd bullet as it is currently written.  4th bullet:  Say that
registries whose business targets countries with internationalized languages
requiring greater than ASCII 7 support have acquired a way to do this.  Add
either to the 1st bullet point to after the 4th bullet point.

Section 3 — International Standards: This section is included to show that
there are some recognized standards, although we don’t have a finding or
recommendation that speaks to this issue.  Make a note to add it.  We need to
speak to the issue that the reason we are including these references is because
they are useful to use for the data elements.  This group could recommend that
where data elements can take advantage of these standards they should do so.

Section 4 — Findings
4.1: Second to last bullet is not complete.  Last bullet:  What does it mean?
We are trying not to get bogged down in other options, such as intellectual
property interests.  The main point is that registration data serves purposes
other than the life cycle of a domain name.  The focus for this report should
just be the suitability and feasibility of displaying the data and not the uses
of the data.  However, we don’t specifically state the purpose of the data,
which is an interesting point.  It is hard to make a finding about the
suitability and feasibility without speaking to the uses.  We are not
comprehensively trying to survey all of the uses, but the preceding paragraph
makes the point that for some uses for WHOIS data there are issues with
internationalized registration data.  There is a need for some clarity here.
The last bullet is probably an overstatement.  We could reference some of the
other work that we know has existed.  We should stay away from the policy
discussions and find a neutral expression to avoid a subjective evaluation of
the validity of an outcome.  Separate out the notion of abuse.  We have noted
that registrants are monolingual, which leads us to translation and
transliteration, but it is not possible for this group to answer that question
since it is a policy question and therefore is out of scope.  Action:  Include
the discussions on the burdens associated with suitability and feasibility of
display for background — how the WG explored the issue.
4.2 --- Re: First paragraph Port 43:  Note Steve Metalitz’s comment that
perhaps the solutions could be described.  Also, when you go into “must be
present” script that seems to go into the area of policy.  For the tagging —
who will have to deal with this?  Probably all parties at some level.   Note
that ccTLD registries probably would not have consistent policies and
requirements.  Need to revisit the issue of how to word this.  Concerning the
policy questions on page 8, these seem terse and should probably be filled out
with additional explanatory text.