ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

[ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG Call 08 August: Actions/Notes

  • To: "ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx" <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] IRD-WG Call 08 August: Actions/Notes
  • From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 09:10:05 -0700

Dear IRD-WG members,

Here are some brief notes from today’s meeting.  The full transcript and
recording also will be provided.    Our next call will be Monday, 22 August at
1500 UTC/0800 PDT/1100 EDT.  The teleconference details will be sent with the
reminder.

Best regards,

Julie

Attendees:  Scott Austin; Jim Galvin, Rafik Dammak, Sarmad Hussain, Bob
Hutchinson, Steve Metalitz; Julie Hedlund, Steve Sheng, Dave Piscitello,
Gisella Gruber

Actions:  Steve Sheng will send a draft report prior to the next call.  Jim and
Sarmad will provide Devanagari and Arabic script examples.  Dave will provide
text for the findings section (4.2) and Steve and Scott will comment.

Notes (continuing discussion of outline):

Section 4.2, Second Bullet
Question:  Language or script or language and script?  Answer:  RFC tags both
language and script.  Sarmad:  A string could be valid in more than one script.
 Would it be arbitrarily based on the user-selected language?  In that case it
would be necessary to tag the language.  User could indicate language and
script.  Jim:  The issue Sarmad is raising goes back to the discussion with
CNIC and Andrew Sullivan at IETF.  We have a technical issue and we should
probably say something about it with examples to show that you need both the
language and the script.  It will be good to have examples from Jim and Sarmad
(Devanagari and Arabic script examples, respectively). If we are asking the
users to supply this information we should make this more clear, but it might
be sufficient for us to observe that the data needs to be tagged in this way.
With the additional examples, separate this into two sections for clarity.
Section 4.2, Third Bullet
Question: Change “many of the elements” to “all of the elements”?  Answer: We
don’t have consensus on what is registration data.  There is another technical
issue:  Not all elements have standards at this time.
Next Two Points (re: Internationalizing Contact Information: Names and
Addresses) -- Question: Not clear what we are trying to say here?  Are we
saying the models are out of scope?  Jim:  We were not able to come to
consensus on the models in this group.  It is not our place to say what should
or shouldn’t happen, although we could make a recommendation if we could come
to consensus.   I think we need to document this discussion and we could
observe that no consensus was forthcoming on our group or in the Public Forum.
We could recommend that other parties could examine these issues in detail.
(Change “options” to “model” in preceding points.)  Change the section “while
it is not in the remit...” to note that there was some discussion in the group,
but no final consensus.  But, is there a consensus emerging around how this
data flows and its sourcing, we could acknowledge that we have to operate
within the constraints of the system.  That the data is sourced by the
registrant, the ability to enter scripts and languages is constrained by the
registrar and registry and those policies that exist ad hoc today will probably
exist in a future system and these are what we have to shape the policy in the
future.  It is important to include this dialog in the final report even if
there is no consensus to help to provide reference.  Rewrite this section an
discuss at the next meeting.  Dave will produce some text and Steve and Scott
will contribute.

Recommendations:  Look at the Policy Development Process and match it with the
recommendations.  Example: “The Community needs to adopt a model...” and “The
Community needs to develop an issues report...”  Steve will rework this section
and ask for specific comments when the group considers the first draft of the
final report text.