ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Version 1 of the Draft Final Report

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Version 1 of the Draft Final Report
  • From: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:06:57 -0700

Thank you Avri, I get your point now, and thank you for raising it.

According to RFC 6365:

   transliteration

      The process of representing the characters of an alphabetical or
      syllabic system of writing by the characters of a conversion
      alphabet. <RFC6365 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6365> >

      Many script transliterations are exact, and many have perfect
      round-trip mappings.  The notable exception to this is
      romanization, described above.  Transliteration involves
      converting text expressed in one script into another script,
      generally on a letter-by-letter basis.  There are many official
      and unofficial transliteration standards, most notably those from
      ISO TC 46 and the U.S. Library of Congress.

   transcription

      The process of systematically writing the sounds of some passage
      of spoken language, generally with the use of a technical phonetic
      alphabet (usually Latin-based) or other systematic transcriptional
      orthography.  Transcription also sometimes refers to the
      conversion of written text into a transcribed form, based on the
      sound of the text as if it had been spoken. <RFC6365
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6365> >

Thus, I think you are correct, transliteration is only representing the
characters of an alphabetical or syllabic system of writing. For ideographic
scripts such as Chinese, it should be transcription (or Romanization).

Thus, based on the description above, I recommend transcription be included
in the report as well as recommendations along with translation and
transliteration.

What do others think?

Steve