ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Version 1 of the Draft Final Report

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>, Ird <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Version 1 of the Draft Final Report
  • From: James M Galvin <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:53:09 -0400

Avri,

Thank you for this detailed explanation.

Speaking personally, I agree that we should include transcription along with transliteration and translation.

Jim

-- On September 19, 2011 12:51:44 PM -0400 Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx> wrote regarding Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Version 1 of the Draft Final Report --

On 12 Sep 2011, at 17:03, Avri Doria wrote:

> Also one possible substantive comment that occurred to me,
> apologies, while reviewing the translation/transliteration
> definitions and noting that transliterations were not really viable
> for logographic based writing systems.  I don't think we ever
> discussed ascii transcription, at least I do not remember doing so.
> I am not suggesting we do so at this point, and I think it would
> have many of the same problems that transliterations has, and
> perhaps more - ie. are there even tools for that?

We spoke about this a bit during the call today.  I was asked to
write some more about it to the list so that more than just the few
people on the call could give their opinions on the issue.

First there were two issues confounded in what I wrote:

1 - the idea that the translation or transliterations would be to
ASCII.  Jim explained that as chair he had been very careful to not
indicate what script or language the translations would be to if they
were done.  So my assumption that is would be ASCII was inappropriate
and anticipated responses that he hoped to get from the issues report
or PDP.  While I think it is a safe assumption that if there is a
translation or transliteration it will be to the script/language that
is the current whois script, but I accept that this be left open for
the issues report.

2 - The second point is the one of transcription.  As stated in the
report, transliteration works only for script based writing systems
and not for the logograpghic writing systems.  Chinese, as far as I
know, cannot be transliterated, but it could be transcribed; the
sound the word makes could be scripted in the script yet to be
selected as the possible script for translation and transliteration
(point 1).

This issue only occurred to me when reading the report.  It was at
that point that I realized we had not spoken about the entire
category of things one could do with non ASCII writing systems, that
is we had not spoken about transcription of logographic writing
systems..  I apologize for not thinking of this earlier, it should
have occurred to me.

I am not trying to add content to our report and not saying we should
discuss this now, especially since we could not even come to a
recommendation on translation and transliteration.  What I am
suggesting it that we add this as a topic for the issue report we are
requesting in recommendation 2.  While the staff is considering the
issues related to Translation and Transliteration, can they also
consider Transcription?

thanks

avri