ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] REMINDER: Next Call 28 Nov 1600 UTC

  • To: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>, <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] REMINDER: Next Call 28 Nov 1600 UTC
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:22:12 -0800

I may not be able to attend tomorrow's call.  In that case, I wanted to
offer a few comments concerning the MAAWG submission.  I believe it
makes three main points.

First, it underscores the urgency of finding a solution to the issues
identified.  We have heard this from other commenters and I believe we
are in agreement with this view and want to communicate that urgency to
the entities that are called upon to take the next steps (GNSO, SSAC and
ICANN staff).

Second, it makes a forceful case to "standardize on English as a core
interoperable and seamlessly available universal language for DNRD."
While this is close to one of the options we developed (US-ASCII as a
"must be present" script), it goes somewhat beyond that model.  I
believe it should be included as one of the options for resolving the
issue, just as we expanded the options in response to public comments on
our initial draft report.

(In this regard, I note the MAAWG submission's reference to the approach
taken by "APNIC region ccTLD-supporting entities (such as JPNIC)".  I
find it somewhat surprising that -- at least to my recollection -- the
approach described in the MAAWG comments was never presented to the
Working Group, even though we had participants at various points from
the ccTLD community.  It certainly would be interesting for the staff to
look at this approach in preparing the issue report requested by our
final report.)

Third, I believe MAAWG makes a valuable point (p. 6) about the risk of
abuse from any model that does not include a requirement for a "must be
present" script.  I know this topic came up at a couple of points during
our meetings but I believe it is worth emphasizing as MAAWG has done.

I hope these comments are helpful.  I will try to make tomorrow's call
but as noted above I may not be able to do so.

Steve Metalitz