ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] REMINDER: Next Call 28 Nov 1600 UTC

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>, Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>, "ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx" <ssac-gnso-irdwg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] REMINDER: Next Call 28 Nov 1600 UTC
  • From: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:56:07 -0800

Thank you Steve, your comment noted and will be discussed at today’s meeting.

Kind regards,
Steve

On 11/27/11 4:22 PM, "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I may not be able to attend tomorrow's call.  In that case, I wanted to offer a
few comments concerning the MAAWG submission.  I believe it makes three main
points.

First, it underscores the urgency of finding a solution to the issues
identified.  We have heard this from other commenters and I believe we are in
agreement with this view and want to communicate that urgency to the entities
that are called upon to take the next steps (GNSO, SSAC and ICANN staff).

Second, it makes a forceful case to "standardize on English as a core
interoperable and seamlessly available universal language for DNRD."  While
this is close to one of the options we developed (US-ASCII as a "must be
present" script), it goes somewhat beyond that model.  I believe it should be
included as one of the options for resolving the issue, just as we expanded the
options in response to public comments on our initial draft report.

(In this regard, I note the MAAWG submission's reference to the approach taken
by "APNIC region ccTLD-supporting entities (such as JPNIC)".  I find it
somewhat surprising that -- at least to my recollection -- the approach
described in the MAAWG comments was never presented to the Working Group, even
though we had participants at various points from the ccTLD community.  It
certainly would be interesting for the staff to look at this approach in
preparing the issue report requested by our final report.)

Third, I believe MAAWG makes a valuable point (p. 6) about the risk of abuse
from any model that does not include a requirement for a "must be present"
script.  I know this topic came up at a couple of points during our meetings
but I believe it is worth emphasizing as MAAWG has done.

I hope these comments are helpful.  I will try to make tomorrow's call but as
noted above I may not be able to do so.

Steve Metalitz