ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssac-gnso-irdwg]

Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Update: Final Report of the Internationalized Registration Data Working Group

  • To: "Robert C. Hutchinson" <rchutch@xxxxxxxxx>, Scott Austin <saustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ssac-gnso-irdwg] Update: Final Report of the Internationalized Registration Data Working Group
  • From: Steve Sheng <steve.sheng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 15:34:55 -0700

Thank you Scott and Robert for voicing support to the proposed changes by the
SSAC. Are there any differing opinions in the WG?

Also thanks to  Robert for your excellent question on formats, I have checked
with the relevant RFCs and standards, and propose the following revision to
your clarification:

Telephone/fax- ITU-T E.123 [(+12 234 223 2235)international form only];
Email- IETF EAI WG RFCs; RFC 6531
Registration Status- Exact EPP status where applicable;
Dates and Time- ISO 8601-2004 [Date form YYYYDDD only.  Time form HHMMSS only].
Date and time in UTC as specified in [RFC3339], with no offset from the zero
meridian.

Rationale:

For email, IETF EAI WG already produced RFCs, they are RFC 6530, 6531, 6532 and
6533. The email address syntax is specified in RFC 6531, and the actual UTF8
encoding definition is in RFC 6532.

For Date and Time, your suggestion is fine, but we may also want to make sure
there is no ambiguity with regards to timezones, so using RFC 3339 as a basis
(which adopts ISO 8601-2004 and also defines a display format) and then specify
no offset from the zero meridian would be good. It is a format that some gTLD
registries already use today, and a requirement for new gTLD WHOIS.

Kind regards,
Steve