ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssrt-draft-report]

Personal information shared on "whois"

  • To: <ssrt-draft-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Personal information shared on "whois"
  • From: "Kurt Rohrig" <krohrig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 16:53:32 -0500

To Whom It May Concern:

I am contacting you due to my ISP vendor charging for securing personal
information that is available to the public via the "Who IS" database and
potentially other sources.

It is not right that the domain owner information should be shared with
whomever wants to see it and the only way we can secure it is if we pay to
have it hidden behind and ISP proxy process.

Our account information should not be any different then how, the bank,
Craigslist or any other organization protects our information.  We do not
need to pay the bank extra to have our personal information protected.  We
do not need to pay Craigslist anything to provide anonymity until a purchase
is likely.  These are just two of many examples of organizations that
protect our electronic information.

I have a personal domain name which I am the most concerned about.  For me
to keep my name and all the information that would allow my identity to be
stolen I need to pay extra to have it protected.  This is not right.

I am asking that ICANN change the policy and protect this information.
Anyone who might want to buy a domain does not need the direct access.
Access to the owner can be facilitated through a proxy process it does not
need to be direct initially.  It is not right that our information is put
out in the open in today's security breach riddled world and we all need to
pay extra to keep it safe.

I am making a motion to by default protect our personal information as a
good steward.  Otherwise, it causes a disincentive to have personal domains.

Kurt.