ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ssrt-draft-report]

Security, Stability & Resiliency of the DNS Review - Comment

  • To: "ssrt-draft-report@xxxxxxxxx" <ssrt-draft-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Security, Stability & Resiliency of the DNS Review - Comment
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 14:05:29 +0000

As Ireland's only ICANN accredited registrar and largest hosting provider we
take the security and stability of the DNS very seriously, as we have an
obvious vested interest.

With respect to this report I would like to firstly thank the review team for
their hard work. I know how taxing it can be to get involved in ICANN work
groups and that it invariably involves lots of calls, emails and meetings.

With respect to the recommendations themselves.

1 - that makes perfect sense. A lot of issues arise around definitions of scope
when speaking about ICANN and other organisations. Having a clear definition
should do a lot to solve this
2 - ibid
3 - Makes sense.
4 - I'm not sure what is meant by "engagement"
5 - Agreed. it would also be helpful for the rest of us to get a clearer
picture of what they actually do. They're shrouded in mystery
9 - have any specific certs been identified? Speaking of "best practice" is
fine to a point, but having actual concrete terms is less ambiguous
11 - Coupling "DNS abuse" and "consumer confusion" together is quite dangerous
in some respects. I'm not sure that you can measure both in the same way ie.
DNS abuse is relatively quantifiable, while "consumer confusion" is incredibly
vague
12 - very vague. Contracts etc., with whom exactly?
13 - Ok, but in order for that to happen SSAC et al would need to work better
with the supporting organisations
14 - ICANN has issues with outreach. I'm not sure if they're in a position to
improve this in an area as complex as SSR
15 - Agreed, but I assume this would be done in a fashion that would not expose
threats?
16 - 22 - Agreed. The ICANN budget (in its entirety) grows every year. It is
important that we (stakeholders) can see that funding is going to the right
places and that we can see how funds are spent.
24 - Why does this only refer to "long-term risks"? I don't understand that. I
would have expected a recommendation to address the CSO role in general. Is
that even defined anywhere at the moment?
25 - again I'd ask about why the insistence is on "long-term" risks only. While
I can appreciate that advance planning etc., would focus on the "big picture"
etc., etc., I would expect a risk profile to be comprehensive and deal with ALL
risks

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon