ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-asia]

Fw: Support Email

  • To: <stld-rfp-asia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Fw: Support Email
  • From: 서재철 <sir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 10:35:54 +0900

from seoul, kOREA
----- Original Message -----
From: 서재철
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 4:56 PM
Subject: Support Email

Korea Network Information Center (KRNIC)

11F, KTF Bldg. 1321-11

Seocho-Dong, Seocho-Gu,

Seoul,

Korea

May. 3, 2004

We are writing to express our support of the request for the domain .asia. The reasons are as follows:

First, the sponsoring community of .asia is clearly defined and designated, as .asia serves a specific group of interest: the pan-asia & asia-pacific internet community. Broad consensus building has been achieved among interested countries. 11 ccTLDs across the region (including China, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Iran, and etc.) have already submitted their LOIs to show their strong support for the application.

Second, just like .eu which is a regional domain for Europe, .asia is a domain name representing a geographical region instead of a certain country, on behalf of interested parties of people who wishes to identify themselves as asians by using this particular domain name.  With the fact that Asia is the region constituting almost a half of the worlds population, it seems fairly natural to seek for a domain name explicitly representing this geographic region. As Asia expands its power and influence on world economy, .asia will allow global recognition and regional significance for the betterment of the Asia Pacific Internet experience.

Lastly, we ask for ICANNs approval on the request for the domain .asia, on the grounds of fairness and equity. As .eu is being widely accepted as a domain name for the people in Europe and those related to the region, .asia, having to serve the similar purpose, should also be granted to its use among the people in Asia and those related to the region as well.

Best Regards,

Vice President  DR. SIR, JAE CHUL

Korea Network Information Center