ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-cat]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index

.cat application

  • To: <stld-rfp-cat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .cat application
  • From: "Bernard Turcotte" <turcotte@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:16:10 -0400

I would like to note that I am commenting on this application from a personal point of view.

I would also note that I am very sympathetic to the efforts of the Catalan community to maintain a distinct cultural identity, being a member of a minority linguistic community in North America.

This being said I believe that the approval of this application, or any of its variations, would create a significant precedent for ICANN and immediately generate expectations from a large number of other cultural and political entities internationally.

If ICANN approves this application without first having established a clear policy and process for granting cultural or political TLDs, it will then find it difficult, if not impossible, to reject any other similar applications, and there will certainly be many more, without placing itself in the position of judging cultures and politics – an extremely undesirable position at best and quite contrary to what I believe to be a core value of the Internet.

I believe that this was the thinking behind J. Postel’s decision to create the ccTLDs in the fashion he did - completely removing himself and IANA from the decision process of what is, or is not, an acceptable cc.

Similarly here, I would think that if ICANN believes it should be allocating TLDs to cultural or political entities that it should:

1 Define a clear policy, as per its established processes for doing do, for the delegation of cultural or political TLDs which would be based on criteria and definitions generated by an internationally recognized organization, such as the UN, which is completely independent of ICANN.

2 Establish a separate formal process where all cultural and political entities can compete on an even footing to obtain such TLDs.

Another possibility would be that ICANN not make any judgement on any TLD application and simply proceed on a first-come-first-served basis simply limiting the number of entries it accepts at any given time and imposing conditions to insure technical stability.

Thank you.

Bernard Turcotte.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index