ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mail]

[stld-rfp-mail] In support of the .mail sTLD RFP

  • To: stld-rfp-mail@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [stld-rfp-mail] In support of the .mail sTLD RFP
  • From: Christopher W Linfoot <cwl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:48:38 +0100
  • Sender: owner-stld-rfp-mail@xxxxxxxxx
I write in support of the proposed .mail sTLD.

SMTP is not broken, but has been misapplied. However. it is too late to
start again. While I recognise that global deployment of  any solution
which extends SMTP is far from easy, any solution which builds on what is
already there rather than starting from scratch is clearly more likely to
work.

The proposed .mail TLD puts in place a vital missing piece of the puzzle -

that of knowing which of 4 billion or so IPV4 addresses should
legitimately be sending mail. This problem has been greatly compounded by
the advent of a) mass mailing worms with built in SMTP functionality that
propagates direct-to-MX and b) the exploitation of machines compromised by

these worms to send spam.

Spamhaus as the lead sponsor of .mail is known and trusted throughout the
Internet community and thus well placed to lead the delivery of the .mail
"bus lane for trusted mail servers".

A longer statement of my support for .mail is documented at this URL:

http://chris-linfoot.net/plinks/CWLT-5XTFZY

Chris Linfoot