ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mail]

A better solution

  • To: stld-rfp-mail@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: A better solution
  • From: "Spooksters" <spooksters@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 9 Apr 2004 17:20:52 -0000

Having read the article on the .mail domain proposal, I can't agree
more with requiring some form of authentication to cut out spammers.

I myself have been subjected to "spoofing" practices too many times
to count and I have been forced to use alternate e-mail addresses
just to be able to continue conducting business - simply because my
main e-mail address (which has been spoofed) is being rejected by
more and more of my business partners servers.

What makes it more irritating is that writing to a self-appointed
spam list keeper like spamhaus.org to complain about my problem
hasn't helped - so what assurance do I have that paying US$2,000 will
get me better service?

What we need is more authentication control or a database that all e-
mail servers can check againt to confirm the sender's identity
(suggestion - use the authentic sender's server IP address as the
gold standard for reference) before forwarding it. Getting registered
into this database shouldn't cost much - heck, it can even be
included into the domain registration cost if it is five e-mail
addresses or less.

That way, at least smaller businesses, and more importantly,
operators who are not in the US who'll feel the financial pain even
more due to unfavourable exchange rates, will get to enjoy a level
playing field instead of creating a two-tiered Internet mail system.

--
Francis Nantha
Chief Spookster