ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-mail]

Domain Cost $2000

  • To: <stld-rfp-mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Domain Cost $2000
  • From: "Zmeyr, Dave" <ZmeyrD@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:55:22 -0500

I strongly agree with the concept of putting an organized method into place to authenticate origination of e-mails and help eliminated SPAM. However, the entire nature of the Internet is that it's easy for individuals as well as small businesses to create a "presence" and participate in the free flow of information.

Placing a high dollar registration fee will not eliminate spammers (as many of the successful ones can afford this).  It will prevent almost all individuals and small businesses from hosting their own mail sites and will have a chilling affect on business and personal proliferation on the web.

As an owner of a small mail site which I do mainly for fun, I can support myself with a small number of users -- raising the price of registration means you pretty much eliminate me hosting small businesses (for whom I'd have to do a pass-thru of the costs) as well as my own domain which for the small number of users would be prohibitively expensive.

Even for a major business such as Cintas, where we operate under multiple banners (cintas, cintas-corp, uty, omni and multiple others) this registration fee would be extremely expensive and result in us not investing in other portions of our mail architecture.

Charging excessive fees to stop bad behavior is the antithesis of what the Internet is, please don't do it!

- Dave

Honesty & Integrity in Everything We Do!
Dave Zmeyr
Enterprise IT Architect
Cintas
5600 W. 73rd